January 23, 2019 Build time – 16.0 Total time – 688.0

Should have said on to 904 bulkhead instead of 704, (that’s an RV7, I’m building a 9).

Anyway, 904 bulkhead/spar carry thru complete. So the construction flow for the fuselage is work front to tail, then tail to front. So I started with the firewall which is the forward most bulkhead and I’m working bulkheads until I get to the tail. Then I’ll start skinning the fuselage from the tail forward. Tomorrow starts the 905 bulkhead which supports the seat backs. Hope I’m not going too fast!

January 20, 2019 Build time 19.0 Total time 672.0

So the fuselage arrived Tuesday afternoon. Somewhat disappointed with the shipping company, crate was transported on its end and had come open in-transit.

So the inventory started almost immediately to see if anything was lost or damaged.

5 hours of inventory time and everything seems in order.

Started work on the firewall. 14 hours later …

Firewall complete! 704 bulkhead starts Tuesday morning. Stay tuned!

Fuselage arrives today!

January 15, 2019

It’s been a long two months since I finished up the wings and put them in storage. But with the holidays and needing to do a few honey-do’s, a break from building was in order. During the break however I wasn’t totally idle. One of my daughters played Santa and gave me a throttle quadrant for Christmas, thank you Sanya!

Plus I came across a interesting thread on the VAF forum for a tool cart that I had to replicate for my own use. So here’s my version….

So as the construction drought comes to a close and I wait for the trucking company to roll up, I’d like to say that I will NOT have anymore gaps in construction from here to the end. I will definitely be placing my finish kit order a good two months before I run out of fuselage parts. So the postings have resumed! STAY TUNED!

November 4, 2018 Build time 200.0 Total time 653.0

OK I KNOW! Two months without a post! I’ve been working on it though. Here’s what happened in the last two months. All control surfaces done, pitot tube and plumbing done, wiring done, bottom skins done, landing lights, nav and strobes done. Worked on fixing my numerous rear baffle rivet leaks. Cut open both tanks to fillet the baffle seam. Sealed up the baffle with 6 hubcaps each. LEAKS FIXED! DONE!

Also built a workbench power supply to check my wiring. It produces 12V @ 32A, 5V @ 8A, and 3.3V @ 5A. So it will power the plane without a battery.

I’m taking the wings to MY hangar this week! Oh and I ordered the fuselage kit on October 22. Crating date is 1/7/2019, so expecting delivery mid January. Hmm, guess I’ll work on home chores for the next two months 😏

Here’s my pictures of the last two months …

September 5, 2018 Build time 16.0 Total time 453.0

So gap fairings are now installed. Thought I would start the ailerons. Cut the stiffeners and cleaned them up. No work on Labor Day just cleaned my area so I could show off to family and friends what an airplane factory looks like! 😂

So Tuesday I back riveted stiffeners after I dimpled the skins and stiffeners. Then I went to trial fit the skins and … STUPID ME didn’t verify I had the right skins or the right sides. Well, two of the skins I dimpled and installed the stiffeners on the wrong side. So I tell myself that sometimes mistakes are made on the production floor at aircraft plants and production must go on. I ordered two new skins from Van’s and set the ailerons aside and started the flaps. Learn from this and build ON!

August 25, 2018 Build time 0 Total time 421.0

Got an official EAA technical counselor visit on Saturday. They poured over the wings looking for problems. None found! And it was a good time swapping stories of building.

August 28, 2018 Build time 16.0 Total time 437.0

Spent the last two long days getting my aileron and flap hinges installed. Also accomplished SB 16 on the inboard aileron hinges. Lots of drilling, deburring, and priming. Used a rivet cutter for the first time. My new best friend for drilling flap brackets…..

August 24, 2018, Build time 0 Total time 421.0

No real airplane work this week, however, built the wing cradle and transported the wing rack to a fellow builder in Irving. Also mounted the engine on the stand. Plus my AC in the garage failed due to a thunderstorm power surge. That got fixed this week too. Next week onward with the build!